While teaching your child to read take a look at the counting games for preschoolers. When chosen carefully counting games can promote language development almost in the same way as reading games. Moreover counting educational games are a great way to teach your child to reason from an early age.
Whenever possible I try to introduce natural sensory materials to children’s learning games. According to Goodstart Early Learning sensory play is extremely beneficial to children. Furthermore, it promotes language development, encourages critical thinking and problem-solving skills.
This counting game is not an exception and is a sensorial game as well! This game is called Colorful Bean game and is one of my most favorite counting games.
Materials: 20 kidney beans or chickpeas, paint, protective plastic film.
- Spread the protective film and place the kidney beans and five different paint colors on it.
- Ask your child to help you paint over the kidney beans. You can use paint brushes, q-tips or just your fingers for the best sensorial experience.
- As a result, you should have 5 different colors of kidney beans. Let them air dry for 15 minutes.
- Ask your child to divide the kidney beans by color. Ask him/her how many kidney beans of each color do you have. Count them together!
- Place the beans in the shape of numbers that you counted.
- Then, you need to find out how many different colors you have. Ask your child to help you count the colors!
- There are five colors! Ask your child to place beans in the shape of number five.
- Next, try combining kidney beans of different colors. Introduce your child to addition. For instance, place two yellow beans and two red beans. Ask your child how many beans do you have now and whether the amount is changed because of different colors.
- Lastly, introduce your child to subtraction. Take some of the kidney beans away and ask your child how many beans do you have now. Place the beans in the shape of that number.
Involving a child in counting games for preschoolers from an early age is very important. Educational games like this one will set a firm academic ground for his/her future development and success.